Thursday, April 29, 2010

Barry Lewin

I managed to steal some time with Barry Lewin, semi-pro surf-ski racer, while he is in the middle of Coast to Coast for Cancer (C2C4C), to do an interview with him.

Barry was born 19-04-83, in Empangeni, but has grown up and currently still living in Durban. Barry participated in many different sports while at school but started to favour K1 paddling, after he had finished school he went on to take up Surf Ski racing. He then later became a semi-professional surf ski racer. Barry weighs 90 kg and is 6ft2. Mr Lewin has achieved so much in his personal and professional career. to read up about his life achievements and to follow his blog, go to http://www.barrylewin.co.za/ .

Health and Performance Unlimited: Hi Barry, thanks for using one of your rest days to spend some time with me. Your currently doing the C2C4C, tell us about that?

Barry: C2C4C is a expedition where five intrepid adventurers on jet ski’s will travel over 2800km’s of coastline in 3 Southern African countries in order to increase awareness and raise funds for the Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA) as part of the Coast 2 Coast 4 CANSA (C2C4C) campaign supported by SPAR and Acer.
The pilots, SA surfer Jason Ribbink (Durban North), ex-Protea cricketer Lance Klusener (Mount Edgecombe), marine conservationist Mark Addison (Widenham) and former Dolphins cricketer Russel Symcox (Scottburgh) and myself, will journey on our Yamaha WaveRunners from the Mozambique border to the Namibian border with the aim of creating awareness, educating and raising funds for CANSA.

Health and Performance Unlimited: I’m sure you have had to make many sacrifices to achieve what you have, tell us about that? What are your day to day challenges?

Barry: The biggest challenge is time management. In marginalized sport there is not much cash. We do it for the love and often the best pro athletes will have to work on the side to supplement their income to survive. It’s this balance between training, work, family and sleep (when you can get it) that makes or breaks you. The people who juggle these elements the best will succeed. In tough times the passion for what you show’s through. If you love what you do sacrifices easy!

Health and Performance Unlimited: What is a typical training day for you?

Barry: Morning Paddle of around an hour followed but gym, pilates or core
Afternoon Paddle including interval training
I do one run and a one swim a week.

Health and Performance Unlimited: Have you ever suffered injuries that took you out of your sport for a while? If so what did that do to you mentally and physically?

Barry: I had some shoulder problems last year. I never paddled for 2 months. It is very difficult mentally. We race so much that it was probably good physically for the body to give it some rest but when you are used to racing it kills you sitting on the bank watching. I love the racing and really miss it. I know I really doubted why I was trying to be an athlete last year when I got injured. I was really down with withdrawal from not paddling and dealing with pressures from sponsors to get training. The second I climbed back in the boat the love for the sport answered all those question.

Health and Performance Unlimited: If you weren’t a semi-professional athlete, what would you be doing?

Barry: I did a marketing degree at Varsity College so probably working in that field. Promoting sporting events or even athletes for a business angle. I have already started with some events and would love to get more into this industry in the future.

Health and Performance Unlimited: You have opened Varsity College Surfskischool, was that always a dream? How did you go about opening it? Was being a semi-professional surf ski racer a big help?
Barry: The school was actually opened by Dawid Mocke in Cape Town and he hired me to run the Durban Branch. I got involved to try give back to the sport that has given me so much joy and spread the stoke I feel when I paddle. Joy is so much sweeter when shared. I started slowly with a couple ski and have built it up to 4 level groups. Being a surfski pro was definitely a help. A perfect opportunity for me to share my knowledge and racing experience with new people and ultimately build the sport.

Health and Performance Unlimited: Thank you so much for your time, good luck with the rest of the C2C4C.

- Caron-lee

No comments:

Post a Comment