Thursday, April 22, 2010

Interview with Waylon Murray


Full name: Waylon Michael Murray
Date of birth: April 27, 1986 (1986-04-27)
Place of birth: Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Height: 1.9 m

Weight: 105 kg
School: Westville Boys High School
University: University of Natal, B.Comm Marketing
Occupation(s): Professional rugby union footballer


Health and Performance Unlimited: Hi Waylon, thank you so much for taking time out of your schedule to do an interview with us. You spent your high school career at Westville Boys High School, where you were head of the school and played first team rugby. Was it at Westville that your passion for rugby started or was rugby already a big part of your life beforehand?

Waylon: going into high school I had a passion for a number of sports but while I was Westville I got a chance to mature and grow my love for rugby, by the time I neared the end of my schooling I was still undecided whether cricket was going to be my career or rugby, fortunately enough I was mentored and given a lot of solid advice and ultimately I chose rugby, my passion has since grown daily as I’m always learning more about the sport that has contributed so much positive in my life.

Health and Performance Unlimited: You made your debut for the Natal Sharks in 2006 and have continued playing with them in both Currie Cup and Super 14 competitions. It was while playing for the Sharks that you got your shot at Springbok level, which is a huge achievement. Did you ever think you would achieve the things you have at such a young age?

Waylon: not in a million years did I ever think I would be playing for the sharks straight out of high school; much of my first year of professional rugby was spent in awe and wonder because the guys I was now playing with were my heroes through high school. I had always planned my future with these many goals with the hope that I would achieve them through a process of years working my way to the top, but I never realized it would happen so spontaneously.

Health and Performance Unlimited: I’m sure hard work and sacrifices came into play to achieve what you have. Your schedule is very busy, what is a typical day for you?

Waylon: a typical day varies from what part of the season you are in, but usually we have a gym session in the morning around 7,followed by a pilots or core strengthening session after followed by a strategy meeting, we have breakfast then we back in the afternoon for team meeting then field session then individual extras.

Health and Performance Unlimited: Having played both inside and outside centre, what are the key elements and training tips you can give to others in your position and other aspiring rugby players in general?

Waylon: I think the most important advice I can give to any rugby players is make sure to work hard every opportunity you get, whether it be practice or game time. Give yourself every opportunity to succeed by always believing and continuously making sure to keep learning and pushing limits that you didn't even realise were there.

Health and Performance Unlimited: You suffered a 7 month absence from rugby due to injury in 2009 but have since recovered and have had game time again. What was it like both physically and mentally trying to get back into the game? What was your rehab and training schedule like?

Waylon: that was the toughest period of my life, emotionally taxing and mentally draining. I was blessed to be around such incredible people that made sure my state of mind was always positive. I learnt a lot about my character and it was a tough road to health but I made it. Rehab was an integral part of my healing and it was full day commitment that helped me grow as a person, I would spend 2 hours in the gym every morning and another 2 hours in the afternoon making sure my conditioning would not be compromised while I was on the side line, very grateful to have many amazing people around me through that difficult time in my life

Health and Performance Unlimited: Thank you so much for you time Waylon, it is much appreciated.
- Caron-Lee

4 comments:

  1. thanks for a highly interesting and insightful article

    ReplyDelete
  2. an intruiging article, compelling and rich..

    ReplyDelete
  3. very well written and inspirational.. looking forward to reading more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey everyone I am glad you enjoy me posts and I’m glad you are inspired by it all. Keep following.

    ReplyDelete